Position: Human Resources & Operations Manager
The New Jersey Family Planning League is looking for a Human Resources & Operations Manager to play a cross-functional role supporting both the Human Resources and Operations departments. The HR & Ops Manager will work with the EVP & CFO to manage recruitment, HR compliance, policy development, benefits, payroll, and office operations among other responsibilities.
You are: Highly organized, proactive and a creative problem solver, up to speed to HR Technology and best practices. The HR & Ops Manager will report to the EVP & CFO and will ensure the organization’s HR and Operations systems are running smoothly. You must be comfortable working with key members at various levels of the organization.
We are: A non-profit organization committed to providing access to quality family planning and related reproductive and preventive health services for all New Jerseyans, regardless of identity, income, or insurance status. The League is a direct grantee for the federal Title X, New Jersey Department of Health family planning and STD services grants. As a funding intermediary and network leader, we use this funding to support Subrecipient provider agencies with health centers located in all 21 counties in New Jersey. As of 2023, this network includes 15 agencies that operate 61 clinic sites, and provides services to more than 100,000 New Jerseyans annually.
What you’ll do – Essential responsibilities:
General Human Resources and HR Compliance
- Maintain all personnel policies and procedures and provide guidance and interpretation to staff.
- Monitor and ensure the organization’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws, tax requirements, regulations, and recommended best practices; review and modify policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintain knowledge of industry trends and make recommendations for improvement to organization’s policies, procedures and practices on personnel matters.
- Initial point of contact for all staff regarding Employee Relations matters and concerns.
- Identify and work with external HR consultants and attorneys on special projects as needed.
- Maintain all personnel files.
- Manage performance evaluation process.
- Promotes a working environment that models and supports a positive organizational culture, fosters excellence, open communication, diversity and inclusion, productivity, teamwork, quality service, and high morale.
Payroll and Benefits
- Enter and process payroll ensuring accuracy; provide payroll reports as requested.
- Manage yearly benefits open enrollment process; partner with vendors to ensure best in class benefits, timely communications, and processing. Develop appropriate communications with staff.
- Provide support and training to all employees to understand company benefits, to ensure effective communication at all levels, ensure staff understand how to access benefits.
- Support monthly benefit premium invoicing, reconciliation, enrollments, etc.
- Recruitment and Employee Lifecycle
- Create and facilitate standardized recruitment processes to include interview questions by job, evaluation forms and other strategies to ensure compliance and best practices. Revise and/or create job postings that attract highly qualified candidates.
- Ensure job descriptions are regularly updated as changes, promotions or responsibilities change for the entire organization.
- Manage onboarding including the updating/creating of onboarding checklists, ensuring the appropriate set up of files, training, etc.
- Create and manage offboarding procedures to ensure timely processing of all terminations for both voluntary and involuntary terms.
- Work with vendors to implement/improve upon systems that include HRIS, Talent Management, ATS and other modules that increase efficiency and effectiveness of the HR related processes.
- Produce HR reports as needed for department heads, CFO, as well as necessary state and federal reporting.
- Create and maintain standardized operational procedures in order to streamline and improve processes.
- Develop systems for office set up and resource planning.
- Manage high-level relationships with critical organizational vendors.
- Active participant in leading organizational initiatives for efficiency, savings, effectiveness, and improvement.
- Manage all office logistics including hybrid office set-up, layout, design, etc.
- Ensure insurance compliance, policies & business coverage are adequate make recommendations for change to management as appropriate.
- Work with management to coordinate and implement employee events, including holiday parties, staff appreciation events and other gatherings.
What you’ll bring – Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree required and minimum of 5 years related Human Resources experience or related combination of education and experience.
- SHRM certification a plus.
- Proven ability to independently manage all areas of the HR lifecycle and function including benefits and employee relations experience.
- Strong knowledge of Federal, State and local employment laws and regulations.
- Office operations experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Highly organized with attention to detail; patience; ability to work independently and coordinate multiple, diverse projects, set realistic deadlines, and manage a timeline.
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal skills.
- Willingness to learn and grow with the organization.
- Strong commitment to the ethos of the organization.
What we’ll bring – A team of mission-driven professionals who believe deeply in providing access to quality family planning and related reproductive and preventive health services for all New Jerseyans. We foster a safe, respectful, supportive and collaborative environment that allows people from all walks of life to thrive. A thoughtful, caring and robust benefits package and flexible work schedule are part of our everyday values.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a team of passionate professionals, working in partnership for almost 50 years supporting affordable, accessible family planning health care for everyone who walks through the doors of one of our provider agencies. If you see yourself in this posting, and want to make a difference in our community, we want to hear from you! We will only contact candidates being considered for the role.
The salary range for this role is $70-80k per year.
Please send all resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NJFPL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will be considered for employment without unlawful discrimination based on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, age disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military status, prior record of arrest or conviction or current employment status. NJFPL is deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe social change happens when people with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and identities come together with a common purpose. We aim to build a diverse team that represents New Jersey’s citizens and reproductive justice community. We encourage candidates from backgrounds to apply.